What Is Ipê Decking?
Ipê (pronounced E-pay) comes from areas in Central and South America. Ipê is sometimes typed out as ‘Ipe’, causing readers to wonder if it’s actually ‘IPE’, which sounds like a composite type of material. Ipê isn’t actually composite wood, it’s a beautiful and extremely dense wood with a tight interlocking grain that can be both wavy and straight. Because of it’s unique grain, it it very slip resistant.
Ipê Deck Material
Ipê’s heartwood color is a rich brown with red and amber hues. Ipê decks are very alluring and attractive and because of efforts by many lumber companies, this exotic wood is now responsibly cultivated and harvested. Installing an Ipê deck is as simple as any normal deck, but we we’re not kidding when we said that this wood is tough. Specific tools, hardware and accessories will be required when installing such as carbide blades and drill bits.
Ipê is tough, we’ve covered that, but like any natural wood, Ipê decking that is exposed to the elements does require a certain amount of maintenance. Luckily, maintenance is generally easy and simple. It’s recommended to use a deck oil finish for your Ipê deck, and using Ipê wood decking oil specifically will boost the deck’s capacity to repel water and UV rays, helping to keep sun bleaching away.
Ipê Decking Facts
Ipê is so dense that is actually sinks in the water. Here’s some other facts about brilliant Ipê decking material:
- Five times harder than pressure treated yellow southern pine
- Ipê decking carries the highest rating against rot and insects (termites).
- Ipê deck wood exceeds the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements for slip resistance when wet.
- Ipê as a deck wood carries the highest rating for fire resistance.
- Ipê deck wood is so durable that, left untreated, it will last over 40 years, and up to 100 years if deck oil is applied.
- Ipê hardwood decks typically have a deep, rich brown luster with some pieces displaying a golden hue giving the wood beauty and character.
There is no other natural material that will outlast or look as beautiful as an Ipê deck wood. Ipê hardwood decks will remain smooth and splinter free as long as you own your deck, barring extreme circumstances.
Ipê deck wood provides the beauty of wood without the hassles of the high maintenance pressure treated decking. Ipê decking is beauty in wood… and low maintenance if you leave it unfinished.